There are many different Sages but the most popular one is White Sage.
WHITE SAGE – Clearing
For hundreds of years, white sage (salvia apiana) has been considered a sacred, cleansing, purifying, and protective plant. White sage has been often burned in rituals and ceremonies for centuries as smudging. It is one of the most oldest and well-known herbs for energy cleansing for your home or sacred space. Besides removing negative energy in your home, using white sage helps to neutralize the energy and enhancing your intuition. White Sage is also used for health and prosperity, releases spirit, and encourages protection. White sage aids in emitting negative ions and our aura holds positive ions. Through the smudging process, we can neutralize our aura or the energy of other spaces and objects to cleanse and renew.
WHITE SAGE & LAVENDER – Harmony
Using White Sage and Lavender help to bring a positive energy, healing and purification in your home space. It also helps to open the heart chakra and calm the mind.
MUGWORT – Courage
Mugwort can be used for cleansing, protection, healing, trances, and intuitive development and encourages dreams. It calms the energy of a person, especially when ingested as tea. It helps to awaken the Third Eye aiding in deeper subconscious travel and spirit world communication.
Please Note: Ingesting this herb is a big no-no for pregnant women so I advise against using around women who are pregnant.
How do you smudge a house?
- Before you start make sure all windows and doors are open so the smoke can go out as you want the negative energy be released back to mother earth.
- Start at the front door of the home and light your smudge stick.
- When lighting the smudge stick light the tip of the leaves, allowing it to burn for 5 - 10 seconds, and gently blow on the leaves to create smoke.
- Hold in a heatproof container, smudge pot, or shell so the ashes do not go all over the floor/furniture.
- Slowly move among your rooms, gently waving the stick in the air. Fan smoke with your hand, smudge fan, or smudge feather.
- Move mindfully when you are going from room to room with care walking clockwise around the entire perimeter of the home. Be sure to allow the smoke to drift into even the hidden spaces, like inside closets, basements, and dark corners.
- If you are cleansing a room, move in a counter clockwise direction to banish negativity, and clockwise for invoking.
- After use, gently extinguish the smoke in the sand or a small dish of water.
- Store in a dry place for future use.
What do you say when you cleanse your house with sage?
You could say a prayer, for example, you could simply say:
'Sacred and holy ones, please clear this place of stagnant and negative energy.'
When you are finished smudging, you can thank them and the sage for their help.
Can you reuse a smudge stick?
You may reuse a smudge stick by putting it out under running water. You may put the sage in the sun to dry out before you reuse it again but if you crush it out, insure that it is totally out. It may continue to smolder and became a fire hazard.
PALO SANTO WOOD
Palo Santo Wood creates a pleasant sweet, slightly fruity, wood smell smoke that aids in an uplifting scent that raises your vibration in preparation for meditation, and deep connection for mind, body and spirituality.
Palo Santo is also a cleansing healing wood and helps to clear negativity. It enhances creativity and brings good fortune.
- Begin with clear intention to remove negative energy out of your space and to accept positive energy in its place
- Use a candle, match, or lighter to ignite your stick of Palo Santo. Hold at about a 45-degree angle pointing the tip down toward the flame. Allow it to burn for approximately 30 – 45 seconds and then blow out. You should place it in a safe bowl or incense holder.
- Smudge from corner to corner, from room to room by moving about your space clearing energy. You may say a short pray as you are doing this. When smudging and waving the stick around your space, the smoke will last for longer time.
- When finished, place the stick in a fireproof bowl of metal, glass, or ceramic and enjoy its incense benefits.
- The glow will end on its own unless you blow on the ember which will keep the smoke going.
- You may need to relight throughout the ritual.
- Ensure that the stick is completely extinguished before disposing of it.
These products are organically grown and sourced from sustainable farms.
Please take note:
- Healing and other properties given are for information purposes only and should not be used to replace medical advice or treatment.
- Always use caution when burning smudge sticks, they are hot and will burn the skin and holes in the fabric.
- If you are pregnant or nursing, consult a physician before using smudge sticks.
- Keep unlit and burning smudge sticks away from children and pets. Curiosity can lead to accidents and injury.
- Burn smudge sticks in a ventilated area.
Overall my favourite is White Sage and Palo Santo Stick. I burn these everyday in my house because I have clients come daily for readings and come to purchase crystals. So I need to make sure my house and my sacred areas are cleansed and have no negative vibes there. I really do love what I do and I love sharing this with you all.
Love, Light and Healing, Charlie
Heavenly Crystals Online
Psychic/Medium, Crystal Healer, Akashic Record Facilitator