- Size: Approx - 10cm long
Burning sage is also known as smudging. Smudging may also be used as a ritual tool to rid yourself or your space of negativity. This includes past traumas, bad experiences, or negative energies from others. This may help you establish a positive environment for meditation or another ritual. Choosing to sit and let go of negative thoughts in a ritual like this sets your intention and dedication to self-improvement. Choosing to engage in ritual can be the beginning of your change in mindset.
White sage is an herb held sacred by Native Americans for hundreds of years. Burning sage is a ritual known as smudging. Smudging is a cleansing ceremony used to help people, places, or even objects get rid of negative energy or even bad spirits.
- Light the smudge stick at the tip of the leaves, allow to burn for 5 - 10 seconds, and gentle blow on the embers to create smoke.
- Hold in a heatproof container, smudge pot, or shell.
- Slowly move among rooms, gently waving the stick in the air. Fan smoke with your hand, smudge fan, or smudge feather.
- If you are cleansing a room, move in a counterclockwise direction to banish negativity, and clockwise for invoking.
- After use, gently extinguish the smoke in the sand or a small dish of water.
- Store in a dry place for future use.
“You could simply say: 'Sacred and holy ones, please clear this place of stagnant and negative energy,'” he says. “And after you are finished working, you can thank them and the sage for their help.” According to him, it's a solid stand-in that'll do the job just fine.
- Healing and other properties given are for information purposes only and should not be used to replace medical advice or treatment.
- Always use caution when burning smudge sticks, they are hot and will burn the skin and holes in the fabric.
- If you are pregnant or nursing consults a physician before using smudge sticks.
- Keep unlit and burning smudge sticks away from children and pets. Curiosity can lead to accidents and injury.
- Burn smudge sticks in a ventilated area.